Here’s a breakdown of what I know so far:
- The US and Canada can get their hands on Surface Book on October 26th.
- Australia gets it on November 12th, according to the Microsoft Store site.
- It looks like most countries will be waiting until 2016 for Surface Book – there’s no mention of it on the UK or Germany sites.
Everything we know (at the time of writing, Comic Book Store Guy who will comment in 6 months’ time) about the NVIDIA GPU is listed above and:
- It’s a new chipset;
- The Xbox team was involved in tuning.
A lot was made of the NVIDIA GPU in the launch. Note that the 2 cheaper models use Intel HD graphics instead of the NVIDIA GPU. Using the customizer on the US Microsoft store, the following models were available to me:
- Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD (not NVIDIA GPU): $1,499
- Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (not NVIDIA GPU): $1,699
- Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD: $1,899
- Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD: $2,099
- Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD: $2,699
This machine is not priced to compete with a Dell Inspiron or a Lenovo Thinkpad. This is a high-end machine, targeting the same niche market as the MacBook Pro. I expect we’d see sales to artists, engineers, and management types. Asus’s CEO doesn’t need to complain.
Note that the Surface Book was designed to run Windows 10, not Windows 8.1.
- The top/tablet is referred to as a clipboard by MSFT marketing
- The battery is split; 4 hours in the top and 8 hours in the keyboard
- The models with NVIDIA GPU place the GPU in the keyboard. There’s an Intel GPU in the clipboard/tablet.
The New Surface Pen
- Included with the Surface Book
- 1024 levels of pressure with
- 1 year rechargeable battery
- Compatible with Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro 3 and Surface book
The New Surface Dock:
- Compatible with Surface Pro 4, Surface pro 3, and Surface Book
- 2 Mini DisplayPorts
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet port
- 4 USB 3.0 ports
- 1 Audio out port
- 5.12 x 2.36 x 1.18 in (130 x 60 x30 mm)
Mini-Display Port adapters:
- 2 models: To-VGA and to-HA AV adapters
- Compatible with Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro 3, and Surface Book