*sniff sniff* It’s that time in the schedule when documentation starts to appear right before a scheduled Microsoft release, this time it’s the preview of Windows Server 2012 R2 and System Center 2012 R2 (WSSC 2012 R2).
Microsoft has released a step-by-step guide for building a test lab to help you learn & evaluate Hyper-V Network Virtualization (HNV aka software defined networking aka SDN), using:
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V
- System Center 2012 R2 – Virtual Machine Manager
This document contains instructions for setting up the Windows Server® 2012 R2 Hyper-V Network Virtualization with System Center 2012 R2 VMM test lab by deploying four physical server computers running Windows Server 2012 R2 and ten virtual machines running Windows Server 2012 R2. The resulting configuration simulates two customer private intranets, one simulated hoster datacenter environment, and the Internet.
The lab requires 4 physical servers:
- WNVHOST1: Running Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V, DC, and DNS
- WNVHOST2: WS2012 R2 Hyper-V host, SQL server, IPAM server, and System Center 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Manager. Some tenant VMs (simulated on-premise) are also running here.
- WNVHOST3: Another WS2012 R2 host, but this is going to run the VM running the new WS2012 R2 HNV Gateway role, integrating the on-premise networks with the hosted VM Networks.
- WNVHOST4: Another host running a bunch of “hosted” tenant VMs in isolated VM Networks.
The doc goes step-by-step through building the lab. Bet you can’t wait to get your hands on WSSC 2012 R2 now