I’ve spent the last few days working on the new networking in VMM 2012 SP1 to build new Windows Server 2012 hosts/clusters from bare metal and deploy virtual machines. There are a lot of parts in this puzzle. And the terminology is quite different to what we’re used to in Hyper-V. In the end, I was deploying hosts with converged fabrics and creating clusters with SMB 3.0 (Scale-Out File Server) storage.
With so many pieces I thought it would be a good idea to map out everything that was required in my lab deployment. Here’s what it looks like … note that you might need to look at the original image by clicking on it.
I have not gone further with the map, e.g. mapping to service templates, clouds, etc. I’ve focused here on host and virtual machine networking deployment.
This blog post is the property of Aidan Finn (@joe_elway / http://www.aidanfinn.com) and may not be reused in any manner without prior consent of Aidan Finn. You may quote one paragraph from this blog post if you link to the original blog post.
- Knowledge Base Articles for System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager Service Pack 1
- MVP Book: Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 Cookbook
- Event: System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager SP1 Training
- Virtual Machine Servicing Tool 2012 Beta
- Virtual Machine Servicing Tool 2012 Is Released