You can now buy Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 via volume license channels. Here’s a quick reminder of the changes in licensing:
- The Windows 8 editions: Remember that the RT edition is sold only on ARM tablets and is not in VL. The Enterprise edition is a benefit for when you add Software Assurance (SA) to Windows 8 Pro.
- Paul Thurrott and Rafael Rivera: The authors of Windows 8 Secrets did a much more complete job of comparing the editions of Windows 8 than the original Microsoft table did.
- Windows Server 2012 Licensing In Detail: Windows Server Standard and Datacenter are GA. Essentials is still in RC. I’ve no idea about Foundation, but it’ll only be available via OEM channels and is not a VL SKU.
- Windows Server 2012 Virtualisation Licensing Scenarios: If you are doing virtualisation of Windows Serer on any kind of hypervisor (including VMware) then you need to read this. These rules are not constrained to Hyper-V.
Don’t forget that the virtual launch for Windows Server 2012 is tomorrow afternoon, at 16:00 GMT. We should expect TechNet and MSDN to be populated sometime around/after that.
This blog post is the property of Aidan Finn (@joe_elway / http://www.aidanfinn.com) and may not be reused in any manner without prior consent of Aidan Finn. You may quote one paragraph from this blog post if you link to the original blog post.
- Reminder – Windows Server 2012 Launch Is In 4 Hours
- Reminder – Add Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 To Your Patching System
- Windows Server 2012 UK Events Reminder – Come See What’s In The Release Candidate
- Windows Server 2012 Licensing In Detail
- Windows Server 2012 Virtualisation Licensing Scenarios