2012
08.20

I tried to install Live Essentials 2012 on Windows 8 and it required .NET 3.5.  I tried to install it (both download and from Programs and Features) and the installer tried to download the code.  The download would fail with a 0x800F0906 error:

Windows couldn’t connect to the Internet to download necessary files. Make sure that you’re connected to the Internet, and click Retry to try again.

Some googling ensued and I found a fix.  Pop in the installation media for Windows 8 and run DISM from an elevated (admin) command prompt.  E: was the path to my Windows 8 installation USB.

image

Not exactly user friendly!  The Live Essentials 2012 install worked fine after that.

It appears that this is caused by the machine being policy configured to use WSUS or similar with the download of .NET 3.5 not being available.

Technorati Tags: ,

17 comments so far

Add Your Comment
  1. There is a new GPO to address this exact problem
    “Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair”
    Located @ Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System
    This GPO can enable Windows to use Windows Update to download missing installation files. By default, (if you don’t change this GPO) Windows will try to look for missing files in location where it was installed from, usually DVD; this is hardly a convenient default

    • Nice work Bob. This quick-fix now leads me to investigate my WSUS server and it not handling my Windows8.1 machines’ updates correctly.

      Thanks again!

  2. There’s also a couple of reg keys which you can apparently add which will get around the WSUS issue without fiddling with Group Policy – useful for scripting. That said, the keys don’t appear to be working for me. I am trying to install .NET 3.5 via a script and without any local source media to pull the SXS stuff from. I’m having zero luck – the DISM operation fails and the log file shows “Encountered an unknown option ‘featurename’ with value ‘NetFX3′”

  3. First i wanted to use the Group Policy settings on our SBS 2011 to enable this setting, but i assume this being Win8, it’s not included (yet).
    So than i tried to change the local policy, but for some reason that didn’t work either (i admit i didn’t waste too much time with it).

    Ended up using Aidan’s procedure, that worked fine.
    Thanx

  4. this didn;t work for me…… :-(
    it is saying that the feature or feature name you are trying to on/off is unknown!! any suggestion?

  5. Having this same issue on a Surface Pro, no CD drive or installation media.

  6. After having NONE of the solutions I found all over the net not working for me to get .NET 3.5 installed, I saw a single comment in one thread that mentioned:

    Uninstall KB2966826 and KB2966828, then try installing 3.5 from programs and features.

    [SOLVED] This will fix it if you are having “download” issues or DISM isn’t working… etc.

    • You are a life savior, thank you, worked like a charm, and I don’t know why those at Microsoft didn’t mention about this important detail.

    • Excellent, nice find.
      Thank you, this also worked for me
      Windows Pro 8.1

  7. Thanks Jamie,
    Worked perfectly.

  8. Thanks Jamie,
    This is the solution

  9. Jamie’s suggestion also worked for me. Took friggin forever to download and install .net 3 but it worked.

  10. Thanks, Jamie….

    Uninstall KB2966826 and KB2966828, then try installing 3.5 from programs and features.

    Fixed the issue

    • this is what worked for me.. Awesome Thnx

    • If u don’t have KB2966826 and KB2966828 try to uninstall KB2966827 – it worked for me.

      PS: I have tried every possible solution I could find on this issue (solutions via windows update, control panel allow feature, cmd offline from source install, power-shell install, cleaning up all framework info, enabling it via regedit… everything gave me errors so i tried to improvise.
      PPS: English isn’t my native language so sorry for any mistakes

  11. Thank You Jamie! it worked!

  12. OMG Thank you… Uninstalling the two updates worked like a charm… THANKS!

Get Adobe Flash player