The Windows Management Framework 3.0, or PowerShell 3.0 for legacy operating systems including Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 & Windows Server 2008 SP2, has been made available to download.
This package will update:
- Management OData IIS Extensions
- Server Manager CIM Provider
The new features in Windows PowerShell 3.0 include:
- Workflow: Windows PowerShell Workflow lets IT Pros and developers apply the benefits of workflows to the automation capabilities of Windows PowerShell. Workflows allow administrators to run long-running tasks (which can be made repeatable, frequent, parallelizable, interruptible, or restart-able) that can affect multiple managed computers or devices at the same time.
- Disconnected Sessions: PowerShell sessions can be disconnected from the remote computer and reconnected later from the same computer or a different computer without losing state or causing running commands to fail.
- Robust Session Connectivity: Remote sessions are resilient to network failures and will attempt to reconnect for several minutes. If connectivity cannot be reestablished, the session will automatically disconnect itself so that it can be reconnected when network connectivity is restored.
- Scheduled Jobs: Scheduled jobs that run regularly or in response to an event.
- Delegated Administration: Commands that can be executed with a delegated set of credentials so users with limited permissions can run critical jobs
- Simplified Language Syntax: Simplified language syntax that make commands and scripts look a lot less like code and a lot more like natural language.
- Cmdlet Discovery: Improved cmdlet discovery and automatic module loading that make it easier to find and run any of the cmdlets installed on your computer.
- Show-Command: Show-Command, a cmdlet and ISE Add-On that helps users find the right cmdlet, view its parameters in a dialog box, and run it.