Microsoft has released the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012 Update 1 with support for deploying images of Windows 8 and WS2012. It also supports Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP.
New features include:
- Added support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
- Support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 CTP: Added support in MDT for deploying Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 with Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 CTP, while supporting all new Configuration Manager functionality (offline BitLocker, UEFI, and Assessment and Deployment Kit).
- Support for DaRT 8 Beta: Updated MDT to support DaRT 8 for Windows 8 deployments, while continuing to support DaRT 7 for Windows 7 deployments. Added DaRT support for Configuration Manager scenarios.
- New “Build Your Own Pages” User-Driven Installation (UDI) feature: Enhanced the UDI wizard and designer to enable IT pros to design their own wizard pages with little effort.
- New System Center 2012 – Orchestrator support: Provided the ability to add steps into an OS deployment task sequence to execute Orchestrator runbooks as part of the deployment process.
- Other improvements: Added support for Windows PowerShell 3.0, reworked Roles and Features installation logic for Windows 8, improved “boot from VHD” deployment scenarios, and added support for Configuration Manager monitoring.
So if you want to deploy the new operating systems then don’t do sneaker net. Don’t go buy a third party imaging solution. This is a free, task sequence based imaging solution. And your investment will continue when/if you deploy System Center 2012 Configuration Manager with SP1 because of the integration it has with MDT.
This blog post is the property of Aidan Finn (@joe_elway / http://www.aidanfinn.com) and may not be reused in any manner without prior consent of Aidan Finn. You may quote one paragraph from this blog post if you link to the original blog post.
- Tip: Legally Deploying Images Windows To OEM Licensed PCs
- Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Configuration Manager, Endpoint Protection, and Windows Intune
- Evaluate System Center 2012 SP1 and Windows Server 2012; And Maybe Win A Book!
- Sysprep & Disk Cloning Guidance Updated To Include Windows 8 & Windows Server 2012
- Reminder of Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 Licensing For VL Purchases