Speakers: Orin Thomas and Mike Ressler
Replication is not the same as backup. Lose it in site A = lose it in site B. Backup is still required. And backup provisioning in the private cloud is a challenge cos admins don’t know what’s being deployed.
DPM is a part of system center, a part of a holistic integrated solution. Makes it perfect for provisioning in the private cloud.
How Will The Agent Get Deployed?
- Make it part of image
- GPO for an OU
- Scripting or manually
- Use Configuration Manager
- And probably lots more options, e.g. a runbook fired off from Service Manager
Their solution is user goes to Service Manager, creates a request, and Orchestrator runs a runbook. Their is a DPM Integration Pack. It’s a confusing IP apparently.
- Initialize Data: Add parameters – ServerName, DatabaseName, and Type (3 types of protection group in DPM such as gold, silver, and bronze for recovery points, retention, etc).
- Get Data Source (renamed as Get Protection Group): Data Source Location set as protection group and select Type
- Get Data Source (get server ID) – choose protection server and select ServerName
- Get Data Source (renamed as Get Data Source ID) – DPM, Get protection server name and filter to DatabaseName to protect a single DB, could have said type = SQL to protect all DBs.
- Protect Data Source: Protection Group = Get Protection Group
- Create Recovery – Something.
Yup, it’s confusing. Go look at the videos when the guys tweet the link.
Keep the self-service simple. If there’s more than a few questions, the user won’t do it and they’ll blame you when data isn’t protected and it’s lost.
There’s a bunch of Service Manager stuff after this.
This blog post is the property of Aidan Finn (@joe_elway / http://www.aidanfinn.com) and may not be reused in any manner without prior consent of Aidan Finn. You may quote one paragraph from this blog post if you link to the original blog post.
- Online Backup to Windows Azure Using System Center 2012 SP1 – Data Protection Manager
- System Center Data Protection Manager CSV Serialization Tool
- Reminder: Re-Download Configuration Manager & Endpoint Protection 2012 SP1
- Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Configuration Manager, Endpoint Protection, and Windows Intune