SQL Server 2008 R2 was released to manufacturing. As usual, a free (and limited scale/functionality) Express edition was also released. There are three packages, from the version just with the core components, the version with management functionality, and the version that has management and more advanced features:
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Express: The Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express RTM is a powerful and reliable data management system that delivers a rich set of features, data protection, and performance for embedded applications, lightweight Web Sites and applications, and local data stores. Designed for easy deployment and rapid prototyping, this download includes support for Sysprep, Microsoft’s System Preparation Utility for Microsoft Windows operating system deployment.
- SQL 2008 R2 Express with Management Tools: an easy-to-use version of the SQL Server Express data platform that includes the graphical management tool SQL Server Management Studio (SMSS) Express
- SQL 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services: an easy-to-use version of the SQL Server Express data platform that includes the graphical management tool SQL Server Management Studio (SMSS) Express, powerful features for reporting, and advanced text-based search capabilities
The requirements for the Express edition are:
- Windows 7; Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008; Windows Server 2008 R2; Windows Vista; Windows XP
- 32-bit systems: Computer with Intel or compatible 1GHz or faster processor (2 GHz or faster is recommended.)
- 64-bit systems: 1.4 GHz or faster processor
- Minimum of 512 MB of RAM (2 GB or more is recommended.)
- 2.2 GB of available hard disk space
This blog post is the property of Aidan Finn (@joe_elway / http://www.aidanfinn.com) and may not be reused in any manner without prior consent of Aidan Finn. You may quote one paragraph from this blog post if you link to the original blog post.
No related posts.